As the old adage goes, you are what you eat. For cats and dogs eating a raw diet that means healthy coats, increased energy and lots more. But why is raw food so good? In a word, biology.
ALL THE REASONS TO LOVE A RAW DIET.
THE DYNAMIC DUO OF DIGESTION
Raw foods are naturally rich in two building blocks of digestion: enzymes and amino acids. Enzymes make things happen. As a catalyst for chemical reactions, they may help break food down and aid in the absorption of nutrients. Some enzymes can even help to fight plaque buildup on teeth. Their counterpart, amino acids, are an essential aspect of healthy cell regeneration and growth.
INCREASED ABSORPTION & IMMUNITY
Organ meat is rich in bioavailable vitamins and minerals. This means that the nutrients in raw food are easily absorbed and used to benefit your pet and optimizing nutrient absorption means optimizing immunity. The long-term immune health of your pet can help reduce the risk of more serious disease as they age.
MORE ENERGY, FEWER ALLERGIES
A raw diet made with high quality meat is high in protein and low in carbs. This ratio helps to provide long-lasting energy and keep your pet feeling full for longer periods of time.
Plus, the limited ingredients make it easy to avoid ingredients your pet may be sensitive to. A recent study even showed that dogs that eat raw food as puppies tend to have fewer seasonal allergies. Because what’s worse than going out for a walk only to return stuffed up and sneezy?
GOOD NUTRITION GOES A LONG WAY.
A raw diet is packed with nutrients to benefit your pet from the inside out.
- High-quality protein provides long-lasting energy
- Low-carb food can help promote healthy weight
HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT
- Bio-available nutrients foster healthy skin and coat
- Natural enzymes may fight plaque buildup and gum disease
- Ground bone contains calcium and potassium to support healthy bone maintenance
- Ground bone and cartilage supply a natural source of glucosamine for joint health
HEALTHY DIGESTIVE TRACT
- Concentrated nutrients – smaller portions, meaning smaller poops!
- Improved digestion can help prevent bad breath
REDUCED KIDNEY & URINARY PROBLEMS
- High moisture content can improve hydration and help prevent urinary health problems
A little raw food goes a long way. So even when raw is used as a supplement to your pet’s diet, it’s doing them a world of good.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR (AND WHERE)
The best brands have thoughtfully sourced proteins, high standards for handling raw meat and species appropriate recipes for cats and dogs.
Our favorite raw brands include:
BUT IS RAW FOOD SAFE?
For centuries, cats and dogs have gotten their nutrition from raw food in the wild. Learn more about how to safely feed them raw at home, as well as the multiple safety procedures taken by pet food companies.